More dogs run away on July 4th than any other day of the year. Avoiding fireworks can be difficult. In addition to community events, neighbors might have their own noise makers.
Here are 6 ideas to create a calm safe home for your dog during the 4th of July festivities:
1. Keep your dog on a leash when in or out of the home to prevent bolting from unexpected noises or flashes of light.
2. Be sure your dog is wearing a visible up-to-date ID tag on the collar. Carry a current photo of your dog with you.
3. Take a long walk, play hard and make sure your dog’s bladder and bowels are empty before festivities begin.
4. Keep your dog in a crate or small room during festivities. Make sure favorite toys and foods are available. Swaddle with an anxiety wrap if needed.
5. Play soft gentle music in the room where your dog is staying. Close doors, windows, and shades to
dampen loud noise and bright lights.
6.Spray the room or crate pillow as needed with a calming mist. Scolding only confuses the dog and reinforces fearful behavior.
Earth Heart wishes all of you a calm, safe and fun July 4th.
Download our "July 4th Calm Home" infographic here.