What would you do if:
...your dog ate the bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips that was left out on the kitchen counter?
...your cat had a seizure right in front of you?
...your dog fell down the stairs and started limping?
...your cat was overheating on a hot summer day?
...your dog was choking on a chew toy or piece of food?
Preventable accidents are the leading cause of death among our pets, and according to the American Veterinary Association (AVMA), 9 out of 10 dogs and cats can expect to have an emergency during their lifetime. The good news is that 25% more animals can be saved if humans perform first aid BEFORE getting to their Vet (American Animal Hospital Association AAHA statistic).
Read this article on basic first aid procedures written by the American Veterinary Medical Association. Don't wait until you are in a panic. Only 5 minutes of your time right now could make the difference of life or death for your pet. There are simple techniques in this article for all of the following - bleeding (internal and external), choking, seizures, fractures, burns, heatstroke, not breathing, no heartbeat.
It is well worth the read BEFORE something happens so you are prepared if something does happen. You will learn quickly how to:
- Lower your pet’s body temperature if he suffers from heat stroke and prevent brain damage or death.
- Stop bleeding until you can get your dog to the vet.
- Prevent your pet from losing consciousness by alleviating choking.
- Expel poison from your pet’s system by properly inducing vomiting.
- Be the pump your pet’s heart can’t be until you can get him to professional medical help.
Here is a great check list for a Pet First Aid Kit. Have these items on hand before an emergency happens and know what each item is used for.
Or you can purchase full first aid kits online - check out Sunny Dog Ink.
Finally - know how to take you dog's vitals. This is a great 5 minute video on taking your pet's vitals with Denise Fleck, an expert on Pet First Aid and CPR.
Pet First-Aid is by no means a replacement for veterinary care, but reacting at the moment injury occurs and then getting to professional medical help can make a big difference in your pet's surviving an accident.
So what would you do if your dog ate a bag of chocolate?